Director of the
Institute of Computer Science, Polish Academy of Sciences
announces the availability of
three PhD student scholarship
in the multidisciplinary
Computational Biology Lab
Applications are accepted not later than 2017-07-02 and should be marked “CB opening PhD stipend”. Notification of results of the competition: 2017-07-20. Starting date: from 2017-10- 01, or by agreement on another date.
The advertised positions are financed by a grant from the National Science Centre under the 3rd “Symfonia” program, awarded for a large project “An atlas of brain regulatory regions and regulatory networks - a novel systems biology approach to pathogenesis of selected neurological disorders”. The aim of this project is to develop methods to integrate, analyze and interpret complex genomic and transcriptomic data in the area of glioblastomas. More information on the project can be obtained here http://zbo.ipipan.waw.pl/projects.html
Due to the multidisciplinary character of the project, as well as the like profile of research conducted in the Lab in general, there are welcome young persons committed to becoming excellent researchers and having the skills and some experience in one (or more) of such domains: biology, chemistry, data processing and analysis.
Qualifications requested and eligibility:
- Master of Science in one of the following: Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry, or one of the like scientific disciplines; final-year students are also welcome, provided their MSc Thesis defences will take place by 2017-09-30.
- The candidate should have good communication skills and excellent study merits, and good skills in oral and written English.
The candidate should also have:
- good skills in learning database structures and retrieving information from databases;
- commitment to acquire basic knowledge in new scientific disciplines, necessary for analysis of data from the Symfonia project;
- basic knowledge of one or more programming languages.
The following specific qualifications are welcome but not required:
- molecular biology, genetics in particular;
- basic statistics;
- multivariate analysis;
- R software environment.
The applicant should include his/her:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV),
- a brief cover letter detailing relevant experience and research interests,
- a copy of your MSc diploma (or a prospective graduation date), transcript of the final-year records
- a letter of recommendation
- a list of publications and conference contributions (including type of contribution).
Conditions of employment: Initial period of employment is for 36 months, with the possibility of renewal until the project ends or beyond. Starting monthly remuneration (nontaxable) is 3 000 PLN.
Prof. dr hab. inż. Jacek Koronacki
Director of the Institute of Computer Science, PAS